Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Finding Wonder & Miss Ayana

I have started going to community events. I have been looking for new experiences and hoping to learn a few things. One of the first events I went to was a lecture given by Bob and Justin from a marketing design company called Rule29. It was about finding wonder and how they use the idea of wonder to tell the story of several charitable groups. It was very interesting and goes perfectly with my resolution of being more present. Their message was to find wonder every day. 

"He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." -Albert Einstein

The other night I went to my first author reading and book signing. It was for Iowa alum Ayana Mathis who penned the novel "The Twelve Tribes of Hattie." She was recently featured on Oprah's Super Soul Sunday, and her book is on Oprah's reading list. It was wonderful listening to her describe her characters and how she developed them. If this writing thing doesn't work out she could easily go into public speaking. I have not yet read the book but after hearing a beautiful chapter and meeting the author, I am very excited to do so. 



No comments:

Post a Comment